Jyotirmay Eye Clinic is a unique facility dedicated to provide state of the art eye care for children and Adult patients with squint and nystagmus
The clinic was established in the year 2005 with the aim of providing best eye treatment for children. State of the art infrastructure for pediatric eye care was laid down and a pediatric ophthalmologist (children’s eye specialist), a pediatric optometrist (child’s optometrist), a pediatric anesthetist and a pediatrician (child specialist) came together to provide skillful treatment for kid’s eye problems.
Jyotirmay became the first dedicated hospital for children’s eye treatment in western India and Dr Mihir was the first kids eye doctor who gave up all the diagnostic and surgical skills acquired for the adult eye care in favor of state of the art children’s eye care.
In addition to providing pediatric eye care, advanced set up was established for the treatment of squint in children and adult strabismus in the same year. The clinic has kept its promise by adding newer technologies and evidence based treatment protocols to provide the latest treatment in its pursuit of providing best pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus services to its fellow citizens.
In the year 2012, Jyotirmay eye clinic added first of its kind nystagmus treatment center in India after the installation of Intellinext, video nystagmography system from Eyedentify Inc. USA. Nystagmus or shaking of eyes is a common eye problem in children and affects neurologically affected adults for which not much medical help was available. Our pediatric eye doctor and the squint specialist, Dr Mihir Kothari underwent special training and has contributed immensely towards increasing the awareness regarding the problems and management of nystagmus among other kid eye doctors by conducting several education programmes, presenting the research papers and writing a book chapter on nystagmus.
In the year 2015, a modern children’s spectacle dispensing unit was commenced at Jyotirmay eye clinic. The eye treatment for children became easy with better spectacle frames and lens dispensing technology. A silver medal was awarded to us for a seminal research on the quality of spectacles in the children in India. The baby eye doctor providing eye treatment for children in India are welcome to contact us (Mr Vivek, our pediatric optometrist) for the cost effective optical needs of their children with eye problems.
In the year 2016, eye exercises department was started to provide evidence based and latest treatment for lazy eye correction and correction of crossed eyes using the dichoptic therapy also called binocular eye exercises was added.
The eye clinic is equipped with some state of the art equipments to diagnose and treat common, uncommon as well as very rare eye disorders affecting children less than 16 years of age and Adults & Children having Squint and Shaky eyes (Nystagmus).
Jyotirmay’s Ocular Motility and Binocular Vision Laboratory is one of its kind in India that is equipped with
- Devices to measure forces generated by the eye muscles (Force Forceps)
- Record the eye movements using high speed infrared camera (Intellinetx Video ENG system)
- Smart Protractor for accurate measurement of Abnormal Head Posture (Smart Protractor)
- Binocularity assessment system to detect depth and size of the suppression scotoma (Neutral Density Filters)
- Tests to detect differences in the Image size between the two eyes (Aniseokonia measurement)
- Distance 3D measurement system (Nidek CP 690, Polaroids)
- Near 3D measurement system (LANG test and TNO test)
- Automated Computerised Hess Charting to detect eye movement restrictions in various gazes (Hess Chart Pro)
- Electromyography (EMG) amplifier for Botox injection to correct squint
- iNET eye exercises for squint correction and Android system based eye exercises for lazy correction
- Bangerter filter for amblyopia treatment
- Laminar flow squint surgery and nystagmus correction operation theater.
At Jyotirmay, lot of efforts and financial resources have gone in creation of a super safe child’s anesthesia and children’s eye operation theater complex. A no compromise attitude is adopted to provide unparalleled surgical correction of eye diseases in children.
These equipments generates robust clinical as well as research data that helps us provide unparallelled eye care for children and adults with Squint and/or Nystagmus.
It was envisioned that the best squint specialist in Mumbai and the best child eye specialist in Mumbai should be complimented with state of the art infrastructure facility unparalleled in India. Weather it’s the treatment of eye problems in children or squint treatment or nystagmus treatment – we intend to provide the latest, evidence based and affordable.
The mission of Jyotirmay eye clinic is to keep the patient first. The ethics and the transperancy in the health care system is very much ingrained in our protocols. The charges of all different diagnositcs as well as operative procedures are displayed in the clinic as well as available on our website. Unnecessary investigations are never ordered and baseless / in-effective treatments are discarded at the earliest.
The treatment given in this clinic includes – squint correction, lazy eye treatment, treatment for nystagmus, eye exercises for squint, lazy eye correction, lazy eye exercises, squint surgery, treatment of a variety of pediatric eye diseases viz childhood cataract surgery, correction of watering of eyes in children, glaucoma in children, drooping of eyes / ptosis in child, treatment of progressive myopia in children etc.
For Latest Treatment at Jyotirmay Eye Clinic – Click here
The Pediatric Low Vision Center
Jyotirmay Eye Clinic helps the children with low vision to achieve their educational and social goals with help of low vision devices.
A well qualified staff at the clinic is dedicated to passionate and compassionate eye care.
The Jyotirmay Charitable Trust generates its own funds that helps us to treat vision threatening diseases in children from financially under developed section of the society
The charges of various services at Jyotirmay are not arbitrary they are determined based on the local best practices, infrastructure provided for the eye care, market research based and expertise of the eye care team + the time taken.
We do not shy away from offering appropriate reduction in the charges and consider ourselves privileged by providing free eye care to the children with vision threatening disorders from socioeconomically under priviledged section and as mark of respect to our colleagues – doctors’ families.
The information on this website is accurate and updated.
Despite of best of our efforts, we do not have success in every patient treated by us.
Blindness in Children: The facts
- Every 1 minute a child goes blind …
- 1.4 million Children under the age of 15 are blind
- Nearly three quarters of these children live in Asia and Africa
- 50% Children that are born blind do not survive till the fifth birthday
- 3.5 lakhs children in India are blind
- 4.2 million Children have visual impairment and can not attend regular schools
- More than 50% of the blindness in children is avoidable / treatable
- The treatments available for the prevention and cure of blindness are among the most successful and cost effective of all health interventions.
Source: World Health Organisation (WHO)
WE ARE COMMITTED TO CHANGE THE SCENE!!!